Kids TV star visits the University

Gethin Jones

Wednesday gave Lincoln’s journalism and media students with a chance to talk to ex Blue Peter presenter and all round nice guy Gethin Jones.

Gethin was in Lincoln as part of his business dealings with the new hotel that is being built on the Brayford.

One of the first questions he was asked was why he chose to leave Blue Peter – and Gethin wasn’t sorry: “I always said I’d do 3 and a half years on Blue Peter, and I felt it was right to move on,” said Gethin. This was despite all the hard work he put i. Gethin said: “In my first 2 years of working for Blue Peter I had 14 days off. It was pretty intense”.

Gethin has had a varied career at Blue Peter, from flying with the Red Arrows to being the first civilian to complete the Commando Course, a gruelling 8 hour marathon carrying weights and a rifle.

The latter pushed Gethin to the limits, and he recalled how when he got home. “My housemate had to pick me up and carry me to the bath, I didn’t have the strength to walk there,” Gethin said. He also didn’t have the best experience with the Red Arrows.

“I went for a preliminary flight with them. If you don’t throw up on that you can go on the fill displays with them,” he said. This preliminary flight was anything but pleasant for Gethin, who was told not to throw up in the cabin because it corrodes the cockpit. He was instead provided with a small sick bag. “We flew into Cyprus in the summer heat – so you couldn’t see the horizon which was really disorienting,” he explained.

After that, the flight got worse for him. “We pulled 6 Gs and I threw up, but because of the extreme G forces it came out really slowly. Then the plane changed course, and the slow moving sick in the bag changed direction. It  went back into my mouth. It wasn’t the best experience.”

Gethin also acknowledged how difficult things are for him at the moment. “Every time people say my name, they immediately think of Blue Peter, and that’s a danger for me especially considering I left 3 years ago”.

He also spoke about life as a relative celebrity: “I try to keep my private life private, however this is difficult considering my fiancée is more famous than me.” The fiancée in question is Katherine Jenkins, who he proposed to on February 6, 2011.

He instead tries to keep his private life private, even insisting on the boundaries that are drawn with his topless photos. He said: “I have rules for that, and the other half doesn’t mind. It’s just a bit of fun!”

The event was very well received by everyone who attended. Emma Greatorex, a 2nd year journalism student said: “He was such a genuine guy, and really down to earth. He really put you at ease when talking to you”.